Merlin is a British fantasy-adventure television programme developed by Julian Jones, Jake Michie, Julian Murphy and Johnny Capps. It began its broadcast on the channel BBC One on 20 September 2008. The show is based on the Arthurian legends of the mythical wizard Merlin and his relationship with Prince Arthur, but differs from traditional versions of the legend in many ways.
Merlin is a young warlock who arrives at the kingdom of Camelot, after his mother arranges for him to stay with Gaius, the court physician. He discovers that the king, Uther Pendragon, has outlawed magic and has imprisoned the last great dragon deep under the kingdom.
The dragon informs Merlin that he has an important destiny to protect Uther's son, Arthur, who will bring forth a great kingdom. When he meets Arthur for the first time he believes that he is arrogant and Arthur views Merlin as subservient. Merlin must also keep his gift of magic secret or face execution at the hands of Uther
- Colin Morgan as Merlin (65 episodes)
- Bradley James as Arthur (65 episodes)
- Richard Wilson as Gaius (65 episodes)
- Angel Coulby as Guinevere (49 episodes)
- Katie McGrath as Morgana (46 episodes)
- Anthony Head as Uther Pendragon (42 episodes)
- Rupert Young as Sir Leon (26 episodes)
- John Hurt as the voice of Kilgharrah (24 episodes)
- Eoin Macken as Sir Gwaine (17 episodes)
- Adetomiwa Edun as Sir Elyan (15 episodes)
- Nathaniel Parker as Agravaine (13 episodes)
- Tom Hopper as Sir Percival (13 episodes)