Doctor Who is a British science fantasy television programme produced by the BBC.
It depicts the adventures of a mysterious alien time traveller called "the Doctor" who voyages throughout time and space in his bigger-on-the-inside ship called "the TARDIS", which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s police box. With his companions, he faces any number of foes from the merely political to the genuinely alien.
It is somewhat problematic to speak of the show as a unified whole, since it has had three distinct production periods: the original run from 1963-1989, the failed American co-production of 1996, and the current series produced by BBC Wales since 2005. Although the original run was widely noted for its poor production values, it was also recognised as a series that could frighten children to the point that they would view the programme from a safe distance "behind the sofa", yet have enough adult themes to hold the attention of older viewers.
Although the two later iteration still aimed for a family audience, both later iterations have also, unlike their predecessor, won critical accolades. Since 2005, the series has regularly topped the British viewing charts and been a serious contender for Britain's most prestigious awards ceremonies.
The show originally ran from 1963 to 1989. After an unsuccessful attempt to revive regular production with a backdoor pilot in the form of a 1996 television film, the show was successfully relaunched in 2005, produced in-house by BBC Wales in Cardiff.
The first season was produced by the BBC and seasons two and three of the new series had some development money contributed by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), which was credited as a co-producer.
- The First Doctor (William Hartnell)
- The Second_Doctor (Patrick Troughton)
- The Third Doctor (Jon Pertwee)
- The Fourth Doctor (Tom Baker)
- The Fifth Doctor (Peter Davison)
- The Sixth Doctor (Colin Baker)
- The Seventh Doctor (Sylvester McCoy)
- The Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann)
- The War Doctor (John Hurt)
- The Ninth Doctor (Christopher Eccleston)
- The Tenth Doctor (David Tennant)
- The Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith)
- The Twelfth Doctor (Peter Capaldi}